Australia, its historical past and interesting information
A brief history
Humans are considered to have arrived in Australia concerning 40,000 years ago from Southeast Asia. They are the first inhabitants, called aborigines and they have descendant still today ( More on visa for Australia from usa ). The population was around a million before the European settlement and today about 350,000 people are in Australia.The Dutch sighted Australia in the year 1606 as the British landed in 1688. But it was Captain James Cooks maiden voyage that claimed the territory for Great Britain. A British colony was set up in 1788 with around 161,000 English convicts transferred and settled there. Former criminals and free settlers established six colonies which grew to become states afterwards. In 1901 these colonies were federated into the Commonwealth of Australia and a constitution was created that included the US federal traditions and also British parliamentary.
Some interesting details of Australia
Australia is counted among the most one of a kind places in the world. Right from the ridiculous Aussie laws, which might still exist, to the weird wild life, this continent is stuffed with unusual and incredible stuff. Even though you might have heard about some of the Australia facts, you may find here something totally new. So here are a few intriguing details of Australia
- 1. About 80% of Australian creatures are distinctive – Some of the interesting animals in the world can be found in Australia that includes marsupials, kangaroos, koalas, platypus, and a variety of birds. You will find them in zoos or parks and can find them in the wild.
- 2. The vast rock Uluru extends up to 2.5 km underground – Uluru is sacred to the aboriginal tribes and it has been listed by UNESCO as a heritage site. Amazingly about 2.5 km of this rock is considered to be underground and connected to the Olgas which emerges 16 milesaway.
- 3. Over 60 wine regions – Visiting Australia and not trying wine may not be a good option, although with such a wide variety it will be hard to pick among them. There are several vineyards stretched over the continent and you can reach those spots to enjoy the unique landscape.
- 4. Largest eco-system in the world – The Great Barrier Reef comprises of about 2500 reefs which are visible from space. Diving and snorkeling among the turtles and vibrant fishes are the major highlights for a trip to Australia.
- 5. More snow than Swiss Alps – While lots of people pay a visit to Australia for excellent beaches, skiing lovers go to the Australian Alps. Snowfall begins in June and continues till September which makes the place exquisite for skiing.
- 6. Worlds largest sand island – The sandy shores are the highlight of Fraser Island, so jump on a boat and take a look at the delights of this heaven. It fantastic to find a dingo and this island has around 150 of them. Keep a safe distance since they are wild and aggressive.
- 7. Worlds greatest war memorial – Scenic and stunning views along the way will get you enthralled while traveling on the Great Ocean Road. The road was constructed as a memorial by the soldiers going back to their land after World War – 1.
So these were some of the interesting facts about Australia and if you wish to experience more of such remarkable things, pack your bag and visit this terrific place.